Living in Sydney

The city of Sydney

Sydney is the most populous city in Australia with a metropolitan population of over 4.2 million people. It’s famous landmarks include Bondi Beach, the Opera House and the Sydney Harbour bridge to name a few.


The public transport system is able to take you to most places you need to go. To plan your trip, simply visit Tickets are available for purchase at train stations, in some news agencies, as well as on buses and ferry stations. You are able to buy single, return or weekly tickets depending on what your needs are for a particular day/week.


Sydney offers a variety of different accommodation options. The most popular include:

  • Private accommodation
  • Shared accommodation (Where you share the apartment facilities with other house mates such as your class mates)
  • Homestay (Where you live with an Australian family. The family usually takes care of you and can provide meals e.t.c however it can be costly)

Some popular places to look for accomodation include:

As like in all places around the world, you are strongly advised to inspect any prospective accommodation before agreeing to move in.

Working in Australia

As an International student, you are eligible to work up to 20 hours per week whilst studying and full-time during school holidays in line with your student visa requirements. Before you start any paid work, you should first apply for a Tax File Number which can be done by visiting the Australian Taxation Office website The most popular ways to look for work include looking through the newspaper or visiting websites such as or At Unique, we regularly post new jobs up on our student notice boards which relate directly to our courses.

Living costs

The total cost of living in Australia is approximately  $18,610 per year for the applicant. This figure however is only an estimation and you are advised to do your own calculations.

School Age Dependents

Any school age dependents accompanying students to Australia are obliged to attend school whilst in Australia. Students can attend a government school or private school. You should be aware that you will be required to pay full fees for any of your school-aged dependents who accompany you and who are enrolled in either a government or non-government school in Australia.

The process for enrolling a school student and fee involved differ in every state and territory in Australia. You should contact your child’s school to ensure you have all the information required to meet enrolment requirements.

Information about the enrolment and fees for temporary visa holders and dependants of overseas students may be obtained from:

NSW Department of Education and training

Phone: (61) 1300 300 229 (local call)

Overseas Student Health Cover

All international students are required to pay Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC). It is the student’s responsibility to check the conditions of health cover. UIC has arrangements with BUPA to assist students with obtaining OSHC, please inform your agent or our staff at the time of enrolment if you wish us to arrange OSHC for you.

The Department of Immigration and Border Proctection (DIBP) has implemented mandatory Visa Length Cover (VLC) as a requirement for all student visa applications from 01 July 2010. This means that if you apply for a student visa on or after 01 July 2010, you must show DIBP that you have OSHC for the entire proposed duration of your student visa.
Unique OSHC provider is Bupa OSHC.

You are required to complete a form below to apply for your OSHC (Oversea Student Health Cover) and make payment to UIC.


 Visa Renewals

For information regarding visa renewal, please refer to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection at